Hindi Lesson4 (These/Those are…)
Posted by ilearnhindi on October 23, 2008
Hindi Lesson4 (These are …) (Those are …)
“These” : plural of This. “ye”
“Those”: plural of That. “ve”
Just as These and Those take “are” in a senence eg. These are tables. These are boys. These books are good. Those chairs are white. Similarly in Hindi “hai^” takes place of “are”.
Let’s try some sentences
houses:ghar apples: seb friends: dost
tables: meze^ fruits: phal kyaa: what
where: kahaa^ big: baRaa
Sentences with “these” “ye”
- These are houses. ye ghar hai^. ये घर हैं|
- These are apples. ye seb hai^. ये सेब हैं|
- What are these? Ye kyaa hai^? ये क्या हैं?
- Where are these? ye kahaa^ hai^? ये कहाँ हैं?
- Are these fruits? kyaa ye phal hai^? क्या ये फल हैं?
Senetences with “those” “ve”
- Those are friends. ve dost hai^. वे दोस्त हैं
- Those are apples. ve seb hai^. वे सेब हैं
- What are those? ve kyaa hai^? वे क्या हैं
- Where are those? ve kahaa^ hai^? वे कहाँ हैं?
- Are those big? ve baRe hai^. क्या वे बड़े हैं
Pronunciation tip: ‘ve’ is often pronounced as “vo” for colloquial purposes (never in writing). This does not mean pronouncing ‘Those’ as ve is incorrect, of course ‘ve’ is the correct pronunciation. Generally people pick “vo” when saying ‘that’ and ‘those’ in Hindi. My point is if you hear ‘vo’ when you expected ‘ve’ don’t dwell on it.
practice substituting any plural noun with ‘ye’ and ‘ve’.
baakii phir. More later.